Employment Opportunity for Temporary Seasonal Worker/Forestry Intern
Public Works Department
This is a temporary seasonal position, with a 40 hour per week schedule. The position is responsible for a wide variety of maintenance and custodial duties throughout the City of Wheaton’s Forestry division. Work is generally performed outdoors. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates who are interested in pursuing a career in forestry or horticulture that want to advance their working knowledge of the field.
Essential Job Functions:
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist in updating the City’s tree inventory
- Monitor and care for newly planted trees
- Prune small diameter trees
- Assist in planting annual planting beds
- Perform minor equipment repairs
- Use assorted hand tools, mowers, utility trucks and power tools
- May collect refuse, sweep, and pick up litter to maintain cleanliness of parks, garages and facilities.
- Work may involve assisting with maintenance work on City streets, sidewalks, traffic signs, parkways, parkway trees and landscaping, water distribution and sewer system.
Qualifications: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, with a valid Illinois Driver’s License and acceptable driving record. Applicants must be able to work outside in all weather conditions, work independently and as part of a group, operate motor vehicles safely at all times, and lift up to 50 lbs.
Abilities: Work in all types of weather, communicate clearly with children and adults, see/observe oncoming vehicles to the crossing site, and hear oncoming vehicles to the crossing site.
Salary: Starting rate of pay is $9.00 per hour.
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit a completed Seasonal Worker application to: City of Wheaton, Human Resources, 303 W. Wesley Street, Wheaton, IL 60187 or to email@example.com.
The City of Wheaton is an Equal Opportunity Employer