RRM Foundations Position Description
Forestry Crew Supervisor
Department: Horticulture Status: Exempt
Supervisor: Forestry Manager Effective Date: August 1, 2016
This is a hands’ on position. A proven track record of operating a bucket truck and climbing for tree trimming and removal required. The Forestry Crew Supervisor organizes and schedules the Forestry crew to provide the cultural maintenance of trees and shrubs, hiking trails, woodland paths and resource management of woodlands and prairies to standards set forth by the Forestry Manager.
- Organizes work schedules and supervise crew members.
- Provides and coordinates for the ongoing safety and pruning practices of all direct reporting staff members in accordance with the ANSI Z133.1-2006 and ANSI A300 standards. This will include;
- a) Personally utilizes safe and proper equipment work techniques when performing Must monitor and require the arborist crew to uphold the same safety work standards.
- b) Trains staff in all applicable areas of safety training including but not limited to the usage of personal protective equipment, proper operation of tools/machinery, and proper handling of hazardous materials.
c) Documents the safety training
- d) The timely reporting of accidents/incidents to the Cantigny Security department.
- Inspects and evaluates Cantigny for maintenance of trees and shrubs. Recommends proper cultural practice including fertilizing, pruning, watering and mulching to maintain healthy trees and shrub specimen’s through-out the Park and Golf course
- Recommends tree and shrub replacements in order to maintain the integrity of the master landscape garden plan in the Gardens and/or Golf. Assists in the negotiation and purchasing of trees and shrubs and plants trees and shrubs.
- Maintains inventory of plant material throughout the park and golf course
- Develops and maintains spray programs for disease and insects
- Capable of operating the bucket truck and climb trees using the latest certified and proper methods and techniques established by the International Society of Arboriculture for proper tree maintenance. Must be able to operate chain saws, chipper, stumper, sprayer, woods mower, log splitter, etc. in a safe manner.
- Removal of trees and brush by cutting down then cutting into firewood length, chipping the brush, thoroughly cleaning area of debris and then stump grinding
- Maintains nature trails to insure health and safety of the trail.
- Cables and repairs tree damage when appropriate.
- Installs Lightning protection when appropriate
- Member of the snow removal team and comfortable operating equipment during snow removal operations.
- Assists with garden tours and education programs
- Attends workshops and seminars to enhance knowledge and keep up to date on information and trends in forestry and horticulture.
- Participates in and maintains an active interest in the field through contacts with local and state professional associations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Positive work attitude
- Ability to work in cooperation and collaboration with others.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Arboriculture, or Urban Forestry
- Should have a minimum of 4 years’ experience in all aspects of Arboriculture and maintenance operations, with 2 years of management experience.
- Must be ISA certified Arborist. TRAQ preferred. CTSP preferred
- Must have experience in supervision of people and related duties such as preparing work schedules
- Must be safety-conscious, particularly in relation to tree removal and use of equipment
- Must be experienced in gathering and compiling data for tree related studies
- Must have cooperative spirit to work in a group. Ability to lead a group.
- Must be able to obtain Illinois Pesticide Applicator’s license
- Must be willing to work weekends and some holidays when necessary. Varied Work hours due to Storm damage or Snow team responsibilities.
- Physically able to lift & maneuver 50 lbs. Work in all types of terrain and all types of weather. Climb trees to 65’ in height. Drag brush, dig holes for planting large trees and shovel snow. Operate Horticultural/Arboricultural and snow equipment.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish, a plus.
- Driver’s license required
- Pass a drug screen and Background check