Parks Department Horticulture Division
Maintenance II Position
Forestry Team leader
Palatine Park District
Posted January 6, 2016
Open until filled
Starting Salary: $20.42 – $22.86 per hour depending on experience
Under the direction of the Horticulture Foreman, the Horticulture Crew/Tree Team leader position’s main emphasis of this position will be the hands on care and maintenance of woody plant material.
- The candidate should be able to properly utilize hand tools associated with arboricultural and landscaping work, use and maintain chainsaw safely. Implementation of tree felling and trimming procedures; operates the chipper, stump grinder and all other equipment safely. Establish work zone safety procedures such as the placement of cones and signs, or flagging as needed.
- This position is responsible for the routine care, maintenance and removal of trees and other woody plant material, trimming, mulching in preparation for special events, and other duties as assigned.
- The candidate should have the ability to identify trees, major insect pests and disease problems affecting trees.
- Work will include evenings and weekends when needed as well as assisting on special events, along with other Parks Department duties as assigned. Responding to emergency calls possibly 24/7.
- Other duties as assigned may include but are not limited to , general park landscape maintenance, planting trees, shrubs and flowers, mowing, fertilizing trees and turf, sod installation, weed control, trimming, grading, operating special landscape equipment and work on irrigation equipment, making/maintaining ice rinks, warming rooms and snow removal . The emphasis of this position will be the care and maintenance of woody plant material.
- Overtime will be required as needed. The Parks Maintenance Horticulture Crew Tree Team leader position is in the Parks Department and is a full-time, full-benefited non-exempt position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION:
- Minimum of High school graduate or equivalent, prefer but not required college work in a related field such as (Urban Forestry, Arboriculture, Park Management)
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of work experience in landscape maintenance including tree care.
o Preferably have an ISA Certification
- ISA Certification shall be maintained throughout employment
- Required prior to or within the first twelve (12) months of employment and maintained throughout employment:
- A valid State of Illinois Commercial Driver’s License (CDL Class B) with Air brakes endorsement.
- Palatine Park District participates in Department of Transportation random drug and alcohol testing program.
- A valid Illinois Department of Agriculture Pesticide Applicators license, including but not limited to the categories of Ornamentals and Right of Way
- A proficient working knowledge of grounds and maintenance plus knowledge of hand tools, grounds equipment and operation of trucks and tractors is a necessity.
- Experience in team supervision, training, routine equipment maintenance, safe working procedures, and use of all appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Proficiency in tree identification, care, maintenance, pruning technique and removals.
- Must be able to work well in a group as well as alone.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate professionalism, multi-tasking abilities, and good oral/written communications.
- Employment is contingent upon successful criminal background check, pre-employment drug screen and physical.
Apply on-line at www.palatineparks.org under job opportunities
The Palatine Park District offers excellent benefits including medical, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and paid time off (vacation, sick and holidays)
The Palatine Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.